Hot pressurized water process for making a new and sustainable compound
According to the biomass & wastes from biomass sourced products input you need at least two inputs :
- biomass / biomass sourced wastes
- binder (usually polymer such PP, PE, ABS, PLA, recycled PP … )
Ratio for each input depends mainly on the type of biomass/wastes and on the use of the compound. For example, a ratio of 100% of cedar is possible for an extrusion molding device, 100 % of milk carton is also good for injection because of the plastic film inside the carton, 95% of wood and 5% of binder works great also for making boards with an extrusion molding device, albeit it is denser than normal wood or a 85%/15% ratio, while a ratio of 50% of cigarette filters and 50% If needed, additive can be added (for example, maleic acid). « Recipes » are almost endless : be sure to define the final use to narrow them.
Granulometry of the biomass inputs must be at least 6 mm or below : note that some materials are too light and therefore do not work properly. Humidity rate should be under 40 % to keep a good productivity and for the best results, we recommend humidity rate between 10% and 20%. Note that higher rates of humidity are acceptable but the production time will increase.
At MFT we consider the M&F Technology technology like a good technology that needs to be reserved to HIGH GRADE compounds and HIGH LEVEL products. If you plan to make cheap boards or cheap end-products or you need not so expensive inputs or machine, you should consider an other process. We can help you.
The rotation of the propeller (2000 rpm) inside the reactor chamber makes the temperature and the pressure rise due to collisions between the elements and vapor from the water inside the inputs. Under these locally particular conditions, according to Mr. Morimoto, water becomes subcritical, water with solvent and ionic product properties, that separates the biomass lignin, cellulose and hemi-cellulose. The successful reaction is recognizable for the operator by a typical pattern in the temperature rise and by a typical sound. The propeller is stopped (manually or automatically). Then those elements are fused with the binder (and additive if any), the speed of the propeller decreased slowly according to the change in viscosity. Click on the image below to know more about the process.
According to the recipe of the compound, it is possible to make phone shells (in this case resisting heat), car parts, beer case, rear, bowl, boards, substitute of cardboard, etc.. Thanks to M&F Technology, the product end of life is already determined : collect it, crushed it to the mandatory granulometry, and reuse it, directly, in molding machine.
- Valorizing almost all the biomass sourced wastes or poorly valorized products : cigarette filter; cardboard ; carton brick (milk or juice) without separating plastic/paper/aluminium ; forest industry related wastes such sawdust, paper sludge, pulp, paper (granulo around 1mm is a must)… ;
- Wet biomass inputs welcomed
- No external heat : save energy and money of operating costs
- Saving oil / petroleum sourced products
- No need of special molding device : use standard devices with adapted settings
- Products’ end of life : easy to recycle and reuse (according to the inputs)
- Compound easier & faster to mold due to its enhanced homogeneity (compared to compounds with same formula produced by twin screw extrusion device) and adherence between polymer matrix and the biomass material
Video of a working MF machine
To know more about the reaction and process, please click on the previous image of the machine or follow this link.